Friday, April 2, 2010

Plant Sales

I remember so well the first spring of my adventures as a Master Gardener; I came close to visiting every plant sale within 40 miles of my house and bought everything I liked – especially the plants that were offered for $1 or $2 each. One of my purchases, at a sale in Grayson, was a “twofer”: the pot contained both a Daylily and a Maple (I think the Maple was the “volunteer”, but it could have been the other way around). That Daylily has now been split several times and can be found in three different parts of my garden. And that Maple . . . skinny thing, not even two feet tall. Well it is now a majestic tree (10 – 12 feet, I guess) and my favorite of the three Maples in my garden. All that in a time span of barely 5 years!

Today, I went to the Ag students’ plant sale in Athens and came home with 15 plants for $19 – Blue Daze, Gaura, Gaillardia, Echinacea, Begonia, Phlox and Petunia. The sale continues tomorrow and Sunday (at the greenhouses, corner of College Station and Riverbend Road).

Next Saturday, the State Botanical Garden of Georgia, also in Athens, is having its semi-annual plant sale. Always a great place to find extraordinary plants!

And, April 9 and 10, the Hall County Master Gardeners are having their expo (and sale) at the Chicopee Agricultural Complex in Gainesville. Always interesting, which copious offerings of numerous plant varieties from growers, wholesalers and retailers in North Georgia – not to be missed!

No comments: