Thursday, July 7, 2011

Trees

OMG – I’m growing a tree! From seed! Make that ‘trees”.

In all the busyness of the spring planting season, I failed to mark some containers with freshly sown seeds (or marked them with the wrong ink . . .), which has caused a few surprises in the past several months, none more than a container with fairly rapidly growing seedlings that “I knew I know”, but could not name. A neighbor who is also a gardener did not know either. I split them up in three groups – one in a different container and two in the ground. Especially the plants in the first group kept growing rapidly (and I kept wondering “what is this?”) and it finally – duh! – came to me: Vitex, a/k/a/ chaste tree. I’m growing trees!

The original tree has been in my garden since October 2009 and I collected seed from it last year, not really knowing what to do with it. Evidently, these obscure seeds were among many I tried this year for the first time and to call the results the top success of my 2011 garden may not be overstating it. I had zero expectations, when I added these seeds to a container of soil a few months ago, and wow – look at these trees now!!

Five seedlings in a too-small pot; soon to be divided and made ready for friends' gardens.


A cluster of three . . . .

. . . . and one of two trees - all to be dug up and separated. 


"The Momma Tree" - reaching to shoulder height after 21 months in my garden. A new crop of seeds much in evidence!


The color, a clear lavender, is especially nice in combination with these tall dill. A month of color, so fleeting.

2 comments:

CCTVkarachi said...

It’s glad to see good information being convey. Its a very nice written, and i really like these blog. Thanks for the info.


CCTV Karachi

toryburchshoesbags said...

To meet for the demand of baseball game that needs additional grip on the grassy field, Hogan Online
a pair of spiked sneakers is of necessity, for which would be the premise of a successful baseball match. Spiked soles of the baseball sneakers Hogan Onlinehave the function of tightening grip over the ground by not letting you to fall down even the surface is slick with rain. Baseball sneakers Franklin Marshall Hoodies
are designed for you with molded rubber cleats and heel pull tab for easy wear as well as to exhibit excellent traction over the ground. Abercrombie and Fitch ClothingFew sneakers are even available with baseball design at the side for stylish look.