Thursday, July 7, 2011

Trees

OMG – I’m growing a tree! From seed! Make that ‘trees”.

In all the busyness of the spring planting season, I failed to mark some containers with freshly sown seeds (or marked them with the wrong ink . . .), which has caused a few surprises in the past several months, none more than a container with fairly rapidly growing seedlings that “I knew I know”, but could not name. A neighbor who is also a gardener did not know either. I split them up in three groups – one in a different container and two in the ground. Especially the plants in the first group kept growing rapidly (and I kept wondering “what is this?”) and it finally – duh! – came to me: Vitex, a/k/a/ chaste tree. I’m growing trees!

The original tree has been in my garden since October 2009 and I collected seed from it last year, not really knowing what to do with it. Evidently, these obscure seeds were among many I tried this year for the first time and to call the results the top success of my 2011 garden may not be overstating it. I had zero expectations, when I added these seeds to a container of soil a few months ago, and wow – look at these trees now!!

Five seedlings in a too-small pot; soon to be divided and made ready for friends' gardens.


A cluster of three . . . .

. . . . and one of two trees - all to be dug up and separated. 


"The Momma Tree" - reaching to shoulder height after 21 months in my garden. A new crop of seeds much in evidence!


The color, a clear lavender, is especially nice in combination with these tall dill. A month of color, so fleeting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It’s glad to see good information being convey. Its a very nice written, and i really like these blog. Thanks for the info.


CCTV Karachi