Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Tomatoes Garlic Basil - An ordinary title. A great subtitle!

“Tomatoes Garlic Basil” tells us exactly what this book is all about. “The Simple Pleasures of Growing and Cooking Your Garden’s Most Versatile Veggies” not only makes us pick it up, but also buy it and read it from cover to cover.

Doug Oster has an advantage over many of us; his wife is Italian (or, at least, of Italian descent), so it is logical to suspect that she is the inspiration behind some of the wonderful and simple recipes in Tomatoes Garlic Basil.

The cover entices. The introduction inspires. The content compels us to make room in our gardens for (more) tomatoes, garlic and basil. And Cousin Mariella’s Eggplant Parmesan recipe has us both shaking our heads and determined to make this a project.

As a fairly recent gardener who became a Certified Master Gardener before she knew the difference between a Petunia and a Geranium and who loves basil, has a love-hate relationship with tomatoes and is growing garlic for the first time this season, I love this book! I will probably still keep buying my pesto at the local Farmers’ Market, instead of making it myself, and I’m not enamored of a garlic soup with grapes, but I can’t wait to make “Easy Baked Basil Fries” or cook up a batch of Pasta Sauce with Thyme (thyme being another one of my favorite herbs, with several varieties growing in my garden).

The trend for creating home gardens is undeniable. Newbies can’t go wrong with trying tomatoes, garlic and basil; Doug Oster’s book it a wonderful resource for them – and for veteran gardeners.

2 comments:

~CC Catherine said...

Hey Friend, I am LOVING my Basil that I have been growing indoors and just mentioned that I want to plant more herbs this year. I haven't got this fab book, but I have experimented with some stove top chicken recipes where I saute the chicken on both sides in olive oil and garlic/onion herbs; then I add a can of diced tomatoes with basil, oregano, and garlic and a little water. I put the lid on the pan and simmer for about 15-20 minutes until the chicken is done with a meat thermometer. This week I added some sliced onions and it was SCRUMPTIOUS! Serve some Jasmine rice and Voila......it's a quick meal in under 20 minutes. Hope to make it to the Writers meeting next week with you. Are you planning to go? If so, can I catch a ride with you? Ciao for now Accidental Gardner! :) ~CC Catherine

Lya Sorano said...

Sounds yummy! A variation of this also works well with a pork loin, mushrooms, a red pepper and a cup or so cabernet; thyme is the preferred herb there. Herbs are wonderful for cooking and I'm planning to buy some more from Cheryle in a few weeks.

Yes, I'll pick you up for the NE GA Writers seminar; I'm looking forward to it!