Saturday, April 12, 2008

I've got my Poppies!

Both yesterday and this morning, I visited the Hall County (Georgia) Garden Expo - wonderful event! - and was reminded of a valuable lesson all gardeners are aware of: if you see what you want for your garden, better buy it then and there, because if you wait, it could well be too late!

What I saw yesterday, at the Between Nursery booth, were some gorgeous Poppy plants. I decided to walk around for a bit, interview a vendor or two for my gardening column for the Georgia Asian Times, come back, buy a few and go home. Well, by the time I returned, they were all gone! But . . . . ., assuming the nursery would have a fresh supply today, I went back early this morning and, sure enough, they were just being readied for off-loading from the truck. As I was carrying the flat from the truck to the booth, other gardeners came and admired the plants also. Well, I got the three I wanted, but less than five minutes later, there was only one remaining in the display! Such popularity!

If you're in the market to add to your landscape, here is my list of the expo's most beautiful plants: Blue Spruce, Montgomery, dwarf (Bannister Creek Nursery, Duluth, Georgia), Rhododendron canescens, Varnadoe's Pink (McMahan's Nursery, Clermont, Georgia) and Heuchera, Amethyst Mist (Greenspot Nursery, Gillsville, Georgia).

North Georgia readers who missed this expo only have to wait a few months for the next one; it will be held on September 13 and the details will no doubt soon show up on the organizers' web site.

No comments: